At HelpDocs we build knowledge base software that helps companies of all sizes scale their support. We serve over 170 million pages a month for Fortune 100 companies down to fledgling 2-people-in-a-garden-shed startups (true story).
We're making knowledge bases (traditionally dull and unloved) into something you actually want to update. One that helps to reduce churn and increase customer happiness.
We're a fully distributed, bootstrapped, profitable team that's growing fast. All organically with (almost) zero paid advertising spend.
As a Customer Advocate on the Customer Education team you'll be working closely with the Customer Education Lead and founders to help educate prospective and current customers one-on-one and at scale about how to use HelpDocs.
About the role
The main responsibilities of this role:
- Respond to support queries from customers by chat and email
- Answer pre-sales questions from future customers, identifying where the product is (and isn't) a good fit for them
- Reach out proactively to existing customers and make sure they're enjoying using HelpDocs. See how we can make their experience better.
- Know the competitive landscape so you can refer prospects to one of our competitors if they're a better fit
- Triage feature requests from existing and potential users to the Product team
- Write support documentation for common queries
- Run live Sessions and Workshops to help customers one-on-one and at scale
As a member of the Customer Education team you'll also be helping out with other customer-focused things. Here's a rundown of the kinda tasks you could be involved in. Don't worry! We know there's a lot here. We're not expecting you to be amazing at everything. We want you to play to your strengths 😊
- Help current customers make the most of their HelpDocs subscriptions
- Make prerecorded videos to explain more complex product features
- Produce video Courses to guide users through advanced HelpDocs use cases and generally educate them about customer support
- Help prospective users make the right decision about if HelpDocs is right for them
- Participate in, create, and/or edit podcasts and other audio content
- Find and provide genuine value to potential future users
- Long-form blog posts that tangentially relate to support, happiness or remote work. These are usually in the form of 1500+ word personal stories.
- Help produce ebooks, worksheets, and other long-form content
- Write and send a monthly email newsletter to our subscribers
- Talk to existing customers about their work and write up interesting Customer Stories
It's important to note that this isn't a traditional support, marketing, or sales role. This role is specifically focused on educating HelpDocs customers so they can make the most of their existing (or future) subscriptions.
- You'll be working a lot with our current Customer Education Lead and the founders (we're pretty awesome, so that's a perk 😇).
- We're bootstrapped, profitable and remote. You'll get to learn how all that works.
- Transparent internal metrics and goals. We'll share (nearly) everything with you from day 1.
- The whole team is friendly, approachable, and inclusive to all.
- 1-2 team retreats a year. We're currently planning our fourth team retreat for early 2020. We've had retreats in Madrid, Panama and Bangkok so far.
- We'll provide whatever software & equipment you need to do your job successfully
- Flexible vacation policy. Technically we offer 28 days to all employees, but we're not counting. If you need time, take it. Then come back and do great work. 💪
- It's important to us that you stay healthy. If you're in the UK we'll add you to our private healthcare plan (incl. mental health, dental and vision). Outside the UK we'll give you a monthly stipend toward your own coverage.
- We'll also give you a discretionary stipend toward a gym membership or anything else you do to keep healthy.
- You have a personality and you're not afraid to show it. 🦄✨
- You've preferably produced videos and/or podcasts for at least a year. Even better if that experience is in a similar role.
- You're fluent (like a native) in English. Bonus points if you speak a second language.
- You have excellent written communication skills
- You're compassionate, and understand that all our users are amazing, even if they currently think you're an asshole
- You're not afraid of getting your hands dirty in different areas of the business
- You thrive on feedback, positive and negative, and are constantly working to be the best you can be
- You're happiest working remotely and have been doing so for at least a year. Bonus points if you love to travel.
- You have right to work in the UK (if you want to be officially employed) or you live literally anywhere else and are happy taking care of your own taxes (you'll be retained as a full-time consultant)
- You have a passion for helping customers, and are driven to help them succeed.
- You're ready to work at HelpDocs as your full time gig, and aren't currently studying.
Missing a few things from this list but still think you'd be awesome at the role? We'd love to see your application anyway!
If you're amazing at the role, there's room to grow in your existing role, in Customer Education in general, or move to another role entirely. We're pretty flexible.
If you think you'd be a good fit for another open role as well there's no need to apply twice. Just add a note in your application you'd like to be considered for that too.
We're looking for someone to start as soon as possible. If you're a good fit we'll get back to you within a few weeks to schedule a chat on Slack (or team chat software).
Good luck 🤗